I’ve spent three days this past week doing what I love with the people I love — my girls.

First was a kid’s fishing day on Folsom Lake. Lea and Courtney were excited about fishing in their first tournament. They’ve seen me get ready for, and fish in, tournaments across the country, and they were ready to go after it for themselves.

Five o’clock Saturday morning, Kim and I woke them up, got them in the truck and headed to the lake. Being that the day was all about the kids, live bait could be used. We had a boatful of night crawlers and Shakespeare rods and reels that Andrew Marks at Pure Fishing sent to the girls — we were ready to go.

We rigged little split shot rigs with the crawlers, and before long the girls had each caught a couple of fish. After about two and a half hours of excitement, the newness wore off, and they started playing around in the bottom of the boat. Courtney decided to decorate the carpet of the Champion (borrowed from my sponsor Ken Elie at www.monsterbasstackle.com) with worm poop. The boat was pristine when he loaned it to me, so that meant I had cleanup duty.

We weighed in early and both girls got participation ribbons — which they were happy with — but they didn’t get the biggest fish trophy that they wanted to put next to my AOY and Classic trophies at home. All in all, it was a day with my girls on the water and a lot of fun. I have a couple of pictures from the day on my Web site (www.skeetreeseinc.com) if you want to check them out.

We spent a couple of days fishing at two separate ponds with the girls and some friends. We caught a bunch of little bass and bluegill out of little farm ponds; everyone had a good time.

The girls got to take part in donating to the fire victims in Auburn last week, too. Some of you may have seen on the news that a fire torched more than 60 homes and businesses about a mile from our house. Had the wind been blowing from the northwest instead of the southwest, it would have gotten to our house too.

In fact, we had evacuation readiness orders ourselves, and after packing up some belongings, I videotaped all of our belongings and waited for the call to leave. Luckily, it missed us, but it certainly affected a lot of our neighbors in Auburn. Our hearts go out to them. After everything was over, we all went through the house, loaded up the cars with food, clothing, toys and blankets and went down to donate them in town. We just wanted to help.

Now it’s time to turn my attention to Alabama and the postseason. I leave Tuesday to retrieve the Lucky Craft Express and head to Jordan in Wetumpka and then Montgomery and the Alabama River. I’ve got four competition days, two bodies of water, 20 fish and 12 serious competitors standing between me and the 2009 Toyota Tundra Bassmaster Angler of the Year award.

I want it B-A-D. It’s time to get it on!